Home  |  Reviews  |  Vlogs  |  Interviews  |  Guest Posts  |  Fairy Tales  |  Jane Austen  |  Memes  |  Policies

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Teaser Tuesday (7)




The meme hosted by Should Be Reading, so stop by and check out her blog!

To participate:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Alright, this week, half of the books I plan on reading are still at the library waiting for me. So this is going to be a two-part teaser. For today, I give you two Helluva Halloween selections:

Witch Child by Celia Rees:

I am Mary. I am a witch. Or so some would call me. "Spawn of the Devil," "Witch child," they hiss in the street, although I know neither father nor mother. I know only my grandmother...We live in a small cottage on the very edge of the forest; Grandmother, me, and her cat and my rabbit.
Lived. Live there no more.
Men came and dragged her away. Men in black coats and hats tall as steeples. They skewered the cat on a pike; they smashed the rabbit's skull by hitting him against a wall. They said that these were not God's creatures but the Devil himself in disguise...


Thirsty by M. T. Anderson

In the spring, there are vampires in the wind. People see them scuffling along by the side of country roads. At night, they move through the empty forests. They do not wear black, of course, but things they have taken off bodies or bought on sale. The news says that they are mostly in the western part of the state, where it is lonely and rural. My father claims we have them this year because it was a mild winter, but he may be thinking of tent caterpillars.



That's it for today, but there are two more to come...

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a chilling teaser! (Witch Child)
    Wow! Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent teaser, I may need to read Witch Child.
    My teaser is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/09/puzzle-king-teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that teaser from Thirsty. I found the book overall slightly unsatisfying, but the opening is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wicked teasers, I will have to check out Witch Child for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, the plastic teeth! What memories... I'd read that one for the cover alone, you evil temptress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was quite pleased with this week's teasers myself. And they are both first page teasers, which is rare for me. Books don't normally catch me right off the bat.

    And I try, Lula ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I really liked Pirates by Celia Rees, but have never picked up Witch Child. Great Teasers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. witch child. i want.

    Aimee

    www.myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to have to agree with everyone else RE: Witch Child. Sounds violent and menacing and a little crazy.
    The second one is flat out hilarious. Love the tent caterpillars bit. :) Great teasers!

    Thanks also for coming by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these look good. I just saw Witch Child at the library and thought I would add it to my list of growing books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my those are some long and kinda scary teasers. I can't believe that someone would drag an old granny away and kill the cat and the rabbit. How horrible!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all your thoughts.
Let's be best friends.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...